Corporate Peon: Nature Says: The Man is the Aggressor


Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Nature Says: The Man is the Aggressor

That was paraphrased from our dear book 'The Rules.' And like everything else in that book, it's a load of crap.

I've never been the girl who won't ask guys out. In fact, the majority of my relationships (encounters?) occurred because I took the bull by the balls - er, horns - and stepped up. I have no problems doing that. It's fun to be in charge. And I don't believe that the guy should always pay. I actually feel guilty when a guy pays for me - I'm more comfortable paying for him than having him pay for me. I've been too independent for too long to be immediately comfortable when a guy picks up the check. According to 'The Rules' authors, those are exactly the reasons why I'm single.

When I was a sophomore in college, I 'dated' a guy who was a second-year senior (I think). At any rate, he was a little older, had a rep as being a ladies man, and I was immediately hooked. Low and behold, he tells me that I'm 'too aggressive' and that he didn't like it.

Whoa.

I remember thinking...fuck you! I'm no pansy-ass wallflower who's going to sit around and wait for the guys to come to me.

I wasn't a stalker; and I wasn't obsessed. But I was - am - a bit forward, and he didn't appreciate that.

Good riddance, I say!


Powered by Blogger