Corporate Peon: Dad


Thursday, August 19, 2004

Dad

Dad is retired. He's been that way for, oh, 5 years now?

He's never slept well, that I remember. Up and down all night; stressed to the gills. Elaborate dreams that make no sense to the rest of us. He used to have sleep apnea that kept him up; now I think it's the stress of a failing market

Last week, dad dove - DOVE - out of bed. While sleeping. He landed on his knees on the floor. It's a wonder he didn't break anything (his bones aren't exactly young). It's a miracle that the dog wasn't sleeping on dad's side of the bed.

A few days later, I heard a loud CRASH while in my bed downstairs. It was dark, around 4am - I figured I must have been dreaming and went back to sleep.

Dad had swept the lamp off the night table. Onto the floor. While sleeping. Swept the damn thing off hard enough to shatter the glass lampshade into lots of leetle pieces.

He's also broken two glasses in a week, one even as I type. Mom now calls him Crash.

Yep. Strange, strange father I have. I'm a lot like him, though I have yet to develop angry sleeping habits.

:)


Powered by Blogger