Corporate Peon: The 'rents


Thursday, August 19, 2004

The 'rents

Being at my parents' house for 5 weeks has taught me a lot about them.

Mom often unintentionally cracks me up. Like today, when she said I "knew what side my butter was breaded on." She comes out with things like that often. "I slay me!" she'll chortle.

Dad calls her "old lady." She doesn't answer to that, but does call him "old man."

Dad likes to nap in his black leather chair: head back, glasses off, mouth open, pillow on his head. He claims the pillow is to block the light, but I think it's for comic relief.

They've both lost a lot of weight during the past year (thank you, Atkins). Dad has skinny white chicken legs. Mom calls him "hunky," which is strange. Dad calls her "cute."

Mom is a talented quilter.

Dad helps out in the kitchen now: he's the official "pan fairy," which I like to rename as the "pot fairy" just 'cuz that's more fun for me. He still can't find shit in the fridge if it's staring right at him.

They're both very proud of me. I shrug that off; it's embarrassing, but it also makes me glad.

I bought mom a secret 'thank-you' surprise for being my nurse these past few weeks. Dad doesn't get anything; it makes him happy that I'll thank mom. Dad is like me, not good with thanks and gifts and stuff. Would rather have it go unnoticed. I'll thank him with a card and he'll be good with that.


Powered by Blogger