Corporate Peon: They May Love You, But I Know You


Friday, September 23, 2005

They May Love You, But I Know You

Heathers was on Showtime tonight. I've gone on record before claiming this as my favorite film, and for a time it was. It's the only movie I actively hunted down for my meager collection, and the only one I have quotes memorized from.

It came out when I was in 6th or 7th grade. Life was simpler then, though it didn't seem it. I dressed much like the girls in the movie - colored tights, coordinated blazers...not following the latest trends, but not ignoring them, either. Lip gloss and mascara were the only makeup I needed or wore. I'd use my sister's hair-color mascara (yeah, you remember that shit...you wiped a mascara-like wand through your head for instant highlights!) and had a sleepover every New Year's Eve with my BFF. I wasn't allowed to date but did anyway on the sly. Whether or not Jesse was going to hold my hand or Marc was going to kiss me while his hand was in my back jean's pocket were the big questions in my world.

Now that BFF is married to a guy in the Navy, making their marriage in name only. The last time I saw her was 4 or 5 years ago and I didn't really think she was a nice person then. I'm no longer in touch with anyone who would know what happened to Jesse or Marc, and I've spent at least one of the most recent New Year's Eves alone.

I wasn't necessarily happy then, and I'm not necessarily happy now. I just hope I didn't think I would be. Shrug. You know what they say - if you're happy every day of your life, you wouldn't be a human being, you'd be a game show host.


Powered by Blogger