Corporate Peon: In Search of Advice


Friday, August 20, 2004

In Search of Advice

I'm faced with a dilemna. I'd like your opinions and advice. I've thrown this scenario by select friends and family; while I appreciate their input, I'd like to hear from some more objective people. I'll try to make this succinct.

I currently live in a midwestern suburb. It's a nice place to be, if not d-u-l-l for twenty-something, single folk like myself. I'm not comfortable, nor close enough, to the nearest big city to take advantage of it easily.

I have a great job. It challenges me and rewards me and I do well at it. I'm respected, well-known and well-liked, and I have every belief that I will move up in the ranks there. I've been there for just over 4 years; I vest at 5.

I have no social life. Strike that - I have little social life. No significant other to speak of; no close girlfriends to hang with; no real friends in the area. It's a hard area to be in: the social scene for folks in my situation is nil, and I think most people of my situation choose to move into the city and take advantage of it there. That's not a valid option for me.

I make good money for someone my age; I have a nice apt. I will probably not be able to afford a house in my area for a good number of years. Not the end of the world, but ultimately, I'd like to get out of the apt situal.

My sister and her hubby - both very close to me - live 2.5 hours away, in a very large, hip, happenin' college town. There are affordable houses; lots of jobs; and perhaps most importantly, a large number of active, involved, friendly twenty-something professionals.

There is also a company in sister's town that is of the same industry that I work in. The chances of me getting a job there and leveraging my past 4 yrs experience is good.

So. After I vest with my current company (shortly before which I'll have earned my master's degree), do I move to my sister's town?

Do I give up a good job - no, a career - a known entity - in the hope - not the promise, but the hope of finding a social life? For the hope of finding friends, making a social circle, perhaps finding a man I can be with long-term? Is it worth it to risk my professional self? Is it cruel to punish my social self?

I need help with this one.


Powered by Blogger