Corporate Peon: My Best Friend


Saturday, October 09, 2004

My Best Friend

I just got off the phone with my best friend. We had, like, a 4 hour conversation. She lives in Virginia with her shit-tay boyfriend. I live in Illinois with my demons. I miss her and she misses me. We sat on the phone for a loooong time tonight and drank and smoked. I think this is Beer #5. I also ate part of a frozen pizza. It wasn't reaqlly frozen though, just cold. Friged. Not frigid. I've never been accused of that. She had a coupla beers and then some Red Bull/Vodka drinks, which sounds nasty.

Her name is Sarah Elizabeth D------. She's very very book smart. And sometimes not so common sense smart. She looks like Shirley Temple or a doll. Which makes it very very amusing when she opens that mouth of hers and lets loose with a smart-ass, out-of-the-blue analogy or some such anecdote. She's hilarious. I love her. She knows this.

We talked about politics and work and people we know and beer and food and her bf's family and my parents and her parents and the booty call that didn't pan out last Friday night and abortion and smoking and upcoming trips for both of us and our upcoming visit over Christmas and gambling and our bosses and my tendency to drop cooked frozen pizzas on the floor and the house her bf is having built and our thoughts on having kids and our thoughts on what our parents have done for us and and and...I'm sure there was more but I can't remember.

I think she's beautiful. She says she's gained some weight, which she may have, but she has a tendency at times to be too skinny. I think she has this awesome porcelain skin and full breasts and curly hair and this innocent look which is just that - a look only. I tend to get protective of her - I've the common-sense one of the two of us, and I'm the one who sets our travel plans when we go places. I drive, cuz I'm the defensive driver of us two, and the one with the sense of direction. I'm the one who's traveled on my own and lived on my own. She amused me in college by 'following' me - as I'm a yr older, I set my majors first; joined the sorority first; switched dorms first. She did all that in my footsteps: English, then Communication, then Chi Omega, then New Hall. But she always did it better - much smarter than I, much more determined, much more dedicated. She didn't fool around much - had the steady bfs, while I got drunk and fooled around with whomever. Within reason. Sorta.

I'm in awe of her at times, and I hurt for her at times. I understand, sometimes, how a parent must feel, for I want nothing but the best for her, and I do everything I can to help her. She is incredible. We are a part of each other's families, and though we don't always agree, and have had some disagreements in the past, I love her intensely. She 'gets' me like few others, and I love her for that.


Powered by Blogger