Corporate Peon: Greece, Part 3


Sunday, August 22, 2004

Greece, Part 3

It was a hot day. They all were, actually, during my stay in Athens, and this was no exception.

I got lost on my way to the Parthenon. No worry, I spent the day productively. Went to the Monastriki flea market; made my way to the Parliament building; purely by chance, caught the changing of the guard. Saw a bike race, right past the Parliament building, in what looks like the same route the Olympic riders took.

Finally made my tired way up to the Acropolis. Let me tell you - it's a long way up. A long, long way up. Have I mentioned yet that it was hot?

There's a trail that leads to steps that leads to a few restaurants; a school; and basically, up. Once you climb all those steps you're not there yet.

You still need to walk up a hill. A dirty, dusty, dry hill. The entrance to the Acropolis is not far from the spine of the hill; but of course, you need to walk alllll the way up the hill to purchase tickets. And, in my case, a cold drink. And to rest.

Then. Back down the hill. And down the steps I had already walked down when I didn't realize the tickets couldn't be purchased there.

And there...there, on the dirty, dry, dusty trail that leads to some of the older, more fabulous ruins in this land - was a baby turtle. S-l-o-w-l-y crossing the path.

It was amazing, this juxtaposition. That something full of life could be found in this ruinous place; in this ancient town; among the dirt, the rocks, the bare patches of thirsty grass.

I have a picture of that turtle. It doesn't look like much, but I know what it means.


Powered by Blogger