Corporate Peon


Sunday, November 27, 2005

Someone mentioned to me that I've been quiet lately. I have been, for good reason. I've been biting my tongue a lot lately, both literally and figuratively. I've been feeling really mean lately and have had to restrain myself from calling numerous people out on their stupid, unthinking, asinine behavior. Be stupid if you want, we all are (reference the last post for my own example). But jesus, folks, try to limit the unnecessary public stupidness.

During lunch with R last week, he told me a little story. He was at a gas station once, waiting to pay for his purchase, while the cashier used the work phone for what was very obviously a personal call. R waited a few minutes, in plain sight of the cashier, then reached over, hung the phone up, called the cashier out on his crappy customer service, and left.

I would never do that. I would want to do that, but instead, I'd be passive-aggressive: tapping my fingers, sighing loudly, shooting poisonous looks at the cashier. I may finally say something rude, but not to the extent that R did.

It's the same type of situation now. While some people may (rightfully) call others out on their STUPID, JACKASS behavior, I will sit and seethe silently. I will curse you upside and down, but you'll never hear a word of it.

I would like to change that part of me. I would like to stand up for myself during times of others rude, incomprehensible behavior. Doesn't mean I have to be a bitch about it, but if it happens, it won't be the worst thing ever.


Powered by Blogger