Corporate Peon: Hellloooooooooooooooo. Anyone home?


Sunday, July 04, 2004

Hellloooooooooooooooo. Anyone home?

Sidenote #1: I have been known to take 4, 5, even 6-hr naps. And then get a full night's sleep. It's a talent. And like any talent, I practice it often.

Sidenote #2: I live alone. I know few people in my apt complex, and none of them well.

I have a nice, Atkins-friendly lunch prepared for my parents when they arrive today. Dad is armed with tools to hang curtain rods for me. I'm not that helpless, but the way the blinds are hung makes curtains much harder than normal. And I've decided that all my apt needs to be 'done' is new couches (5 more weeks!) and curtains/drapes (they're all the same to me). And then life as I know it will drastically improve. :)

We have a nice time. Curtain rods are hung. Parents leave. I take a nap.

Five hours later, I wake to someone knocking on my door. And knocking again. And trying the door knob. I'm partially undressed, and there's no friggin' way I'm opening the door at 11pm on a holiday. I know there's no one I want to see on the other side!

So then I check my cell phone and find about 10 missed calls. Mainly from my parents and sister. Two messages, both from my folks, saying I've left my computer online but I'm not answering their IMs, where am I, they're worried, please call.

I do call, and find out that was the police knocking on my door. Mom talked herself into freaking out, and was convinced that something bad happened to me. She called the police to come check things out.

ARGH!

I'm nearing 30 - I'm responsible - again, it's not unusual for me to sleep like the dead. My cell phone was in my purse in the other room; my apt phone didn't answer b/c I was online. I understand why she was worried, but come on!!!!!

Sigh. Mothers. Can't live with 'em, can't...ah, never mind. She meant well.


Powered by Blogger