Corporate Peon: Not Yer Momma's Meatloaf


Monday, September 20, 2004

Not Yer Momma's Meatloaf

I can never pick just one song to be called my favorite. To me, the best songs are those that express thoughts I've had myself, that put into words an exact sentiment I've felt. These songs can be upbeat, they can be...downbeat, they can be sung by males or females or those who straddle the line.

I am a staunch Meatloaf fan. And I don't care how much you tease me. Point, jeer, make fun of me, go ahead. You won't change my mind. He may be bordering on the scary side, he may be well past his prime, he may be an acquired taste...but no one can truthfully say he's a one-hit wonder, a flash in the pan.

His songs have taught me many things. How else would I have learned that life is a lemon? That there can be paradise by the dashboard lights? That two outa three ain't bad? Good girls may go to heaven, but bad girls go everywhere? That objects in the rearview mirror may appear closer than they are?

There are times when I listen to his tape in my POS car, and I wonder if the tape suddenly gave birth to a new version of an old song. "I've never heard that verse before," I think. The words continue to surprise and engage and, well, touch me, in that non-pervy kind of way.

That, to me, is the mark of a good song. And if you disagree? I'll smash my guitar against the body of a varsity cheerleader.


Powered by Blogger