Corporate Peon: Disappearing Act


Thursday, March 03, 2005

Disappearing Act

When I went to Greece, co-workers asked me what I'd do if I met a man there. Would I move there? Give up everything here and live with the man who swept me off my feet on vacation?

I scoffed at that idea. Please, after 2 weeks I'd change countries for a man? Riiiight. Like that would happen.

But I do think about just chucking it all. Move to a new country, teach ESL, learn the native language. Put everything in the past behind me and become who I really want to be, who I think I have hiding inside me.

When I travel, I'm free. No expectations of who I'm supposed to be, or what I'm supposed to be. I follow the rules right now - am making my way up the corporate chain, am saving money for my future, am 'bettering' myself with education. But what if I didn't do those things? Wouldn't I still be me? I might possibly be a better me. If time can erase old wounds, can't distance?


Powered by Blogger