Corporate Peon: Shit or Get Off the Pot


Monday, May 23, 2005

Shit or Get Off the Pot

That's what I tell my dad, everytime he talks about the VW bus he saw on eBay. "Just look at the picture! Isn't it beautiful?" he says. Uh huh. That thing's got more rust than...than...well, than something really rusty.

That's what I tell my dad, everytime he talks about the Vespa trip 'round Europe he wants to take. "Jesus, take the trip already! You're not getting any younger, so if you're worried about being too old, waiting around ain't gonna help!"

And now, that's what I'm telling myself, in regards to a) a new(ish) car, and b) BBB

I'm going to try to shut up about my car thoughts. No biggie, just not worth babbling on (and on, and on) about. My current car is still running, and really, that's all I need to know right now.

As for BBB, well...

I walked over to M's cube; she sits directly across from BBB. I needed M to school me on something, and phrased it as such. BBB heard and laughed at my ghetto-ness. He then called me over to him, close, and asked that magic question: "Do I lead you on or say too many suggestive things? Sometimes you look...contemplative."

Right then, of course, M called me back and we actually had to talk shop for a few minutes. When I turned to leave, BBB was watching me. I walked back over, and asked if he was waiting for an answer. He said yes, but he didn't expect to get one.

"Sometimes I'm confused. I don't know if I'd say lead...well...things that are said, sometimes...but in the end, I know the score, so it's not a big deal." He looked at me with those big brown eyes. "Really. I know where things lie, so I just try to blow stuff off."

"I'm sorry. That's not my intent, to confuse you."

"I know it's not, and that's why it's not a big deal. Really. I know which end is up." He just kept looking at me. I felt very...serious. Like, sure, it was a serious topic, but I felt...grave. That there was no laughter in my face, no smile lurking. "It's a fine line sometimes, this friendship thing," to which he nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, but it's not good if I'm sending mixed signals."

I hit him on the arm with my paper as I turned to leave. "Really, no big deal. It's not keeping me up at night."

So, no more BBB talk. At least not as far as I can help it.


Powered by Blogger