Corporate Peon: Just Call Me Veruca Salt


Monday, October 17, 2005

Just Call Me Veruca Salt

My very first car was a red Sunbird - I think it was a '93. I had some inheritance from my grandmother, so with my approval, dad bought the car for me - without me even seeing it. It was a few weeks shy of college graduation.

It was a great car. No tape deck and no cruise control, though, which made the one trip to NoDak it went on pretty painful. About 2 months after I got that car, a bitch in a minivan ran a red light and totalled it.

All of that lead to the purchase of my current baby, a 94 Saturn. $5000. And over the 6 years that I've had it, I've put at least $2500 into it. I don't even remember all of the things I've had fixed on it, but I do know that I could take it in to any shop today, and pour about $2000 into it. The muffler (that's already been rebuilt once). The transmission. The oil leak. The A/C, tape deck, and passenger door handle that are now display-only.

Still, I love my car. I had always thought I'd be able to put 100,000 miles on it, but I'm 25k short and it's time to say goodbye. Most of my friends rag on my car, some more than others. Of course, those are the same people who live in 2-income families and/or whose father's bought them a new car free and clear, and paid for everything needed on it for the first five years. The Saturn's not really as much of a POS as others make her out to be. She's been mostly dependable, never broken down on me on a trip or on the side of the road. She's made it through hailstorms, snowstorms, and sweltering summers. Almost since I bought her, I've been looking for a replacement, but she's held through for 6 years and some incredibly bad driving. She makes me smile every time I see her.

It's only very recently that I've begun to doubt her. And it's with much growing fear that I impatiently wait for my new ride to arrive.

Yes, folks, after many days and weeks and years of searching and researching and repeating, I have found a car I want. Now that I've made a decision, I. WANT. IT. NOW. It is on its way to me and due mid-October.

Yes, folks, I too agree that it's now past mid-October. Well, there's a slim chance my car will be here today. If not today, it looks like early November, which is completely unacceptable to me and will result in a few hundred bucks being subtracted from the agreed-upon price.

There will be no telling of my new baby's make or model until I actually have it. If I am forced to wait until early November I may very well change my mind and buy something else, and fuck the salesguy I've been working with.


Powered by Blogger