Corporate Peon: Aruba, Jamaica, Ooh I Wanna Take You...


Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Aruba, Jamaica, Ooh I Wanna Take You...

I'm generally a callous bitch. Someone loses their house in a hurricane? Hey, it happens. Someone's dad shoots them over a missed curfew? Yep, that sucks. Someone gets cheated out of their entire life's savings? Life's a bitch.

For reasons I don't understand, though, I'm starting to be bothered by the insanity in our world.

For instance, the Alabaman girl, missing in Aruba. This one really pains me. Beautiful girl, celebrating high school graduation with a hundred classmates. Missing. Presumed dead.

Why? No one knows yet. Why do I care? No one knows that, either.

Or take the Mother's Day stabbings, where a father stabbed his 8yr old daughter and her 9yr old friend to death. All because he disagreed with the mother's lift on grounding. I'm not trying to imply that any death has sense to it...but because these girls were so young, and because the reasoning was so weak, it seems especially heinous (to borrow a phrase from SVU). Maybe because Zion is barely an hour from me, so the news coverage was especially thick, did this have an impact on me. I don't know.

What I do know is that I'm awfully tired of this senseless violence. Can someone make sense of it? Please?


Powered by Blogger