Corporate Peon: Catfight


Monday, May 30, 2005

Catfight

That's the name of one of the books I bought yesterday. I haven't started it yet though; I started my other new book first (more on that later). But Catfight is about how and why women pick on other women.

Who of us hasn't done that? I see a skinny, beautiful girl wearing clothes that would show my rolls, and I'm the first to call her a bitch. Why don't I congratulate her on looking so good? Why don't I use her as motivation to get my own ass in shape? Why don't I realize that though she looks great on the outside, she very well may be a mess on the inside, or acknowledge that I've got good things to offer, too?

I don't know why I don't do those things. I know it's not fair of me to malign someone else out of jealousy (or for any reason/excuse, but jealousy is what is at play in this scenario). But that doesn't stop me.

Brighton wrote about this in a post a bit back. Women at a grocery store called her names because she's so hot, and they weren't. Brighton called them on it, which I think is completely fair. I never say things where the targeted woman could hear, but that doesn't excuse my behavior.

This type of woman-on-woman behavior (stay with me, pervs) certainly doesn't help women as a whole get ahead. It certainly doesn't promote sisterhood or unity or acknowledge that women collectively have a helluva lot of other oppressive forces at work. There's no reason we shouldn't band together to help support and encourage others.

I'm looking forward to reading the book, and I'm looking forward to looking into myself to help make myself a better person. If you're not going to support me, get outta my way.


Powered by Blogger