Corporate Peon: The Importance of Tattoos


Monday, August 22, 2005

The Importance of Tattoos

It wasn't until last year that I dated a guy with tattoos. I was surprised to find them extremely sexy. He had a tattoo on one bicep and while we were together, got his second, on the other arm (and no, it wasn't of my name with a heart around it). It gave him a bit of the bad-boy image that I've always found myself lusting after.

Upon returning home to my email, I found a note from one of my high school gfs. Apparently she and one of the other women in our circle thought it would be fun for the four of us to get a small tattoo together while we are celebrating our 10yr high school reunion at the end of the month.

I love the idea of having something that is 'us only' and that denotes our friendship is permanent and a part of us. I love the idea of celebrating 10+ years of friendship and in knowing unequivocally that there will be 10+ more years of it. I love the idea of bringing each other one step deeper into our lives.

I hate the idea of a tattoo. As Lois and I discussed the night of our excursion, there's just nothing out there that we feel we would be happy with for the rest of our lives. I may wear my hair the same way I did in high school (and college) (and grad school) but a tattoo just doesn't give you any options to ignore. I'm not that afraid of the pain; I am that afraid of the permanency.

I've been agonizing for 8 solid months about a new car; can you imagine how long it would take me to settle on a tattoo?

One of the other girls has a fear of needles, so we settled for lunch out and a group pedicure. That's not a sign we're getting old, is it?


Powered by Blogger