Corporate Peon: Life As I Know It


Saturday, August 27, 2005

Life As I Know It

Thursday after work there was a gathering at a local dive bar with the new work group. I stayed far longer than I had expected, but left before the place closed down.

The new group proves to be a fun group. A lot of younger people in the mix, which should be fun. Since I've known them all from working with them (just not beside them) the past 9 months, I already have relationships built, which means I can pretty easily jump into the roll.

There are a couple fun people that I'll like getting to know better. No one eligible, but I learned Thursday that they are friends with an employee in a different area of the company who I found quite attractive. We'll see if he has any personality if I ever get to talk to him outside of the bar scene.
-----
As my entire cube is packed up, I did some email from home Friday morning before meeting people for our last outing of the summer, an architecture cruise on the Chicago River. This was a very small group and quite light-hearted. BBB was there, as was the Russian guy I like (who bought me a beer on the boat) and we all had a good time. The weather was great and the cruise was interesting.

After that was lunch at a spot on Navy Pier - good BBQ, relaxing atmosphere, and company-paid for. Can't beat that.

The bus took us back to the office, where I ran home to clean, as my sister & BIL were coming down to spend the night.
-----
This is the first time they've done that - usually, they have the dogs to care for and some social engagements. But, they roped S (the girl staying with them this summer) into dog-duty and got down here around 7pm for a mini-vacation.

I bought beer and (way too many) appetizer dishes, and we gorged and talked and watched random TV.

Today, we ate breakfast at a local place they know and like, then went to Costco - my sister's idea of a treat. BIL and I tried to rein her in a bit, but alas - money was spent in excess. I guess that's the point, though, right?

After that, we came back to my casa to nap a little, and more random conversation and TV watching ensued. After lunch we went to IKEA - again, my sister's idea of fun - since that's also on their way out of town.
-----
I bought nothing today but a soda at IKEA and coffee for the two addicts this morning. I guess that means I'm no fun.
-----
I love my sister. Dearly. But I don't always like her. I've been trying for a couple weeks now to put into words what's been going on between us lately, but I always come up short. She's a great person. I just wish...I guess I just wish she could get into my head a little bit. Alas, she probably wishes the same thing, and neither one of us is holding our breath.
-----
Tomorrow I think I will spend shopping for clothes for next week's high school reunion. Not trying to impress anyone, but I would like to look sharp.
-----
This will be another busy week. I have no idea if my boxes at work will be moved to the new building Monday morning or not. If they aren't, I will be crabby, as I'll have to unpack a whole lot to make it through the day (pens, mouse, paper, folders, etc).
-----
Just not feeling the whole blogging thing these days. Too much I've been trying to say without any luck; the thoughts don't stop coming, but the words don't translate into type.

I'll be around.


Powered by Blogger