Corporate Peon: Twisted Sister


Monday, October 24, 2005

Twisted Sister

This weekend was spent at my sister's in Madison, where much shopping was done (a skirt, 2 pair shoes, two tops, a necklace, a scarf, tights, nylons, and a not-slobby sweat pant outfit). And as almost always when I spend time with my sister, I walk away extremely frustrated and misunderstood.

We constantly make the mistake of misinterpreting everything the other does or says. She told me I should get a travel pillow, or ear plugs, or a sleep mask for Turkey. I said no. What I should have said was that I've travelled enough to know that I don't need those items, rather than just saying 'no' in that "bitch tone you always use." I thought just saying no would convey that.

I told her of the friend who's getting divorced because her husband cheated on her. Per the wife, there were signs even when they were dating and they shouldn't have ever gotten married; I told my sister that I didn't know why, then, they did. That was judgemental of me and harsh.

She asked about BBB; I said he was dating his ex, even though he had told me he wasn't in the right 'place' for a relationship. When I said I would have rather he be upfront as opposed to apparently lie, that was because I don't know how hard it can be or what was really going on.

I refused to see the house they've made an offer on. Their offer was countered, which they then countered, which was then refused. However, it seems the owners may provide a new offer, thus reopening negotations. I don't see the point in viewing a house that they may not ever live in. "Wow, this is a great house. I can totally see you in it. Sorry there's nothing I can do to help you actually LIVE here." Yes, I could have seen it to appease her, but I feel I'm always giving in.

We went out to dinner Friday after my torturous drive there; after dinner, we stopped by a friend's birthday party at a bar. She felt she 'had' to go, but "just for one drink." One pitcher, rather. I'm not comfortable around the vast majority of her friends: I'm a capitalist corporate whore who has no personal life to speak of. They're all do-gooders and environmentalists and on political committees and interested in things I know nothing of. Which isn't anyone's fault, just a fact. I feel stupid around them because I can't contribute or necessarily even find their interests interesting.

So then I sit there feeling all fakey and afterwards get reamed by my sister for not being nice. You knew I didn't want to go in the first place; I smiled and made small talk and didn't interrupt or rush you, and that still isn't good enough?

She feels I don't understand her; she's right, but I'm trying. When I asked about one area of her life, she didn't want to talk about it. Well, okay, just don't expect me to understand what I don't know.

It's extremely frustrating and though there's more to say, I don't want to say it right now.


Powered by Blogger